Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Blog Game


Jason's invitation was an excellent motivation for me to write on my blog after such a loong time....

So basically the book that is closer to me or at the top of my pile is Gender Trouble by Judith Butler which you can also see on your left. The cover of the book is in Swedish as somebody informed me and it says something like "gender is burning".
There it goes, page 123, line 5:


"The significant difference between Foucault's position in the first volume of History of Sexuality and in his introduction to Herculine Barbin is already to be found as an unresolved tension within the History of Sexuality itself (he refers there to 'bucolic' and 'innocent' pleasures of intergenerational sexual exchange that exixt prior to the imposition of various regulative strategies [31]). On the one hand, Foucault wants to argue that there is no sex in itself which is not produced by complex interactions of disourse and power, and yet there does seem to be a multiplicity of pleasures in itself which is notthe effect of any specific discourse/power exchange" (Gender Trouble, Routledge, 1990)


I think that is enough for today. I believe that this is also an indication why I have not been around lately so now you know why! (And for those who know me well enough, it is no surprise that this book is sitting on the top of my pile. Shall I call it coincidence or intertextaulity??)

I also invite Dr Gonzo, Andromeda and Pixie to play along if they want!! Log on to Jason's blog for details!! http://www.littleargonauts.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your response Mia! Butler is very interesting. Reference to Foucault just make me feel pain! I remember reading the History of Sexuality in which he mumbles A LOT! He could have just written an epitome instead of three volumes!

Mia Wallace said...

Ahhh I have only the read the first one but he is my poster boy! Funnily enough, today we are giving a lecture on Discipline and Punish with my opposite door neighbour!:)